Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Big Race

Since we have such a huge crowd of men of faith watching us from the grandstands, let us strip off anything that slows us down or holds us back, and especially those sins that wrap themselves so tightly around our feet and trip us up; and let us run with patience the particular race that God has set before us. Hebrews 12: 1

It was July 14, 1983. I was in pain, suffering from deep mental and emotional anguish. That day I began the first of many entries to personal journals written over decades with faith and hope. My opening paragraph would prove prophetic:

I’m in training as of this moment and I truly sense God’s presence as my personal trainer. Because I’m training for the Big Race and I’m planning on winning I’m recording my journey – to stimulate me when I’m down or when I’m up – to be a record of my successes and failures along the way. It’s God and me in this race and that truly excites me, Lord. I dedicate this race to your honor and glory and just want you close to me to share the triumphs and defeats. I am ready to train.

Let’s go, “Big God”!

No comments: